Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Precious Angel

I have been struggling with the words to express the thoughts and feelings I have been having this week. Our friends little girl passed away last weekend and the funeral was yesterday. Lacy was only 16 months old.

I have lost many close family members; my grandmother (who lived with us for five years and the only grandparent I knew), a sister, and my dad. It is hard to lose a loved one, but I can not even begin to comprehend the pain of losing one of my children.

The funeral was very touching, she suffered a lot in her short life and it was apparent that Lacy was a very special little girl. I remember hearing that children who die before the age of accountability where such valiant and pure spirits that they had to be protected from this world. I do not know if that is gospel doctrine, but I like the idea. What an amazing spirit she must be.

The part that really touched me was when the congregation sang the primary song, A Child's Prayer. Sung in that context and from Lacy's point of view it takes on a whole new meaning. It was hard to sing through the tears. Here are the words:

Heavenly Father, are you really there? And do you hear and answer every child's prayer? Some say that heaven is far away, but I feel it close around me as I pray. Heavenly Father, I remember now. Something that Jesus told disciples long ago: "Suffer the children to come to me." Father, in prayer I'm coming now to thee. Pray, He is there; Speak, He is listening. You are his child; His love now surrounds you. He hears your prayer; He loves the children. Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heaven.

What an amazing blessing to have the knowledge of the gospel and the blessings of the temple.

1 comments:

dhillman said...

I am so sorry about your friend. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child either. We just had a family lose a baby in our ward. I think losing a child must be the hardest death to deal with. It is hard to know what to say and do for them, too. I have heard from people going through it that they don't remember what you say, but they remember the love you show. And avoiding it is worse than saying the "wrong" thing. It makes you want to hug your kids, right now!