Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Back to School

Yea! Today was the first day of school! Alex headed off to 3rd grade in a new school. I have a 3rd grader. Crazy. We went to Back to School night yesterday to find his classroom and meet his teacher. I don't think it hit him until then that he was at a new school and didn't know where everything was. He was a little nervous but it didn't last long, he was too excited to go back to school. This was the first time that I did not feel prepared for school to start. We didn't get his hair cut (which it needs desperately), no new pants (we did try but they were out of everything, everywhere), I almost forgot to get pictures this morning, and we missed the bus. Oh, and he forgot his lunch. Great start to the new year, huh?! Although, I have to defend myself, the bus was not my fault. The bus driver never called and everyone I talked to said the 3rd grade bus came around 8:05. So Alex was ready at 7:45 and we were headed out when a bus went flying by our house without stopping. I didn't know if it was his, so I called my neighbor to see if her daughter had gotten on yet. She got on at 7:15! How in the heck was I supposed to know to be out there that early? She only got her daughter on in time because she had older kids who were getting on that bus. We have had bus issues before and I was not happy. Oh well, we made it on time and he didn't seem to be to upset.

After I got Alex to school I ran home to get ready and make Soggy-Bottom Biscuits. I invited some other moms over to celebrate the kids being back in school. We had a potluck brunch and visited. It was really fun and a great way to start the school year. Definitely a new tradition!

My house is clean, I'm dressed and ready, Alex is playing next door with Abby and my house is very quiet. I think I will go scrapbook and enjoy my freedom for a couple hours before Alex is home!

2 comments:

Megan B ♥ said...

7:15?? What time in the world does school START?? We're debating the bus issue at the moment. I think I'm going to end up sending her on it both ways, instead of just the kindergarten bus one way. She's got a lot of little friends who are older who can protect her. Plus the school is right up the hill :) Starting next week!!! Ack!!! I'm actually excited, FINALLY. This kid needs something to do in the mornings besides be bored because Mommy is so boring at the moment.

Corinne said...

Isn't school great for a little free time! I can actually go to walmart with only 2 kids now instead of 4! Let me tell you, it is much nicer. Lovey bus issues. . . good luck in the future, I hate the bus, but I suppose it saves a load of gas. Cute pics of Alex.