Wednesday, October 7, 2009

His Tender Mercies

We have been waiting for LOA for 50 days now. I really thought I was prepared for how long this would take…but I was wrong. Who am I kidding?  I do not like suspense. I am the kid who knew every one of my Christmas presents weeks before Christmas morning. I knew all the hiding places and if it was already wrapped I would cut the tape and then rewrap it. Once I start reading a book I have to finish it immediately (even if that means staying up all night to do it).

Once we saw Maggie’s sweet little face it all became so real. We have a daughter! We have a little girl! Right now she is being held, and fed, and cared for by someone else. Hopefully she is being loved and snuggled and tucked in at night with a kiss. Don’t get me wrong, I am so incredibly grateful for those who are taking care of her, but I would prefer that it was me doing those things. Every day I count the days and follow other peoples  timelines and try to figure out the probability of when we can expect our LOA, TA and finally when we will travel. Several times a day I try and calculate if it is even likely to happen before Christmas.

I have really had to trust in our Heavenly Father through this whole process. At every step in this journey I have had to turn to Him and again lay it all in His hands. The hardest part has not been having faith in God, but rather having faith in myself that I am capable of recognizing the answers He may be trying to show us. It seems we have hit a bump in one form or another at every step along the way. But looking back I know it was all leading us to Maggie.

When agency #1 no longer had access  to the SN list we debated on whether or not we should wait to see if they reopened their SN program or just switch to a new agency (which meant losing about $3000). We prayed and researched agencies (again) and felt prompted to go with agency #2. After sending our application we waited several weeks before they called to tell us they were closing their doors. At this point I was really starting to doubt myself and my ability to recognize answers. We had been wrong with two agencies already. We again prayed about which agency to choose but I really struggled this time because I did not trust myself. After much fasting and prayer we finally made the decision to go with agency #3 (the agency that #2 had recommended) even though we had never heard of this agency and no one on my adoption yahoo groups had either. Throughout all of the agency changes we also faced many other road blocks which made it easy to get discouraged. (Oh. And just a few weeks after signing with agency #3, agency #1 reopened their SN program.) It made it easy to question myself, but I also knew that we had placed our trust in the Lord, that we had been guided in each of those steps and it was all in His timing. We knew that there was a reason for all of these trials and even though we did not know the reasons, God did. Then our agency called. And we saw her sweet face. And I knew. I knew that we had been led to this agency at this time so that we could find this little girl. Our little girl. Our daughter.

You see, the first agency is the one that led us to the SN program. And the second agency led us to the third. With out going through the second one we never would have heard of the Barker Foundation. And most importantly we would not have found our little Maggie, because she was on Barker’s agency specific list and not on the shared list.

There was a reason for each and every delay. There was a reason for the 6 months it took to get Merritt’s background check from Colombia, and why our fingerprint appointment got lost in the mail, and all the other many, many holdups. It was all in the Lord’s time. He can see the whole picture and He really is watching out for each of us and hears our prayers. Maggie will come home in the Lord’s time. Knowing that doesn’t make my heart ache any less for her and I am still asking that the time will be soon. But in the end I know that whatever happens it is in God’s hands.

“The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.”  Ps. 145:9

I love this talk given by Elder Bednar. Click here to read it. In it he reminds us that God leaves us little reminders throughout our lives to tell that us He loves us. He also says, “The Lord’s tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Faithfulness and obedience enable us to receive these important gifts and, frequently, the Lord’s timing helps us to recognize them.” I know that each of us is a child of God and that he loves each and every one of His children. Finding Maggie is just one of the Lord’s tender mercies.

sept3_crop

10 comments:

The Hammond Family Blog said...

Thanks for your testimony. I too was thinking of the tender mercies of our Heavenly Father yesterday. I was reading 1 Nephi (which I have done several times). I noticed the first verse and the last. Nephi wrote,"having seen many afflictions in the course of my days" and then he spoke of the Goodness of God. The last verse of this chapter he says he will show the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen. It really struck me that Nephi had MANY hardships and trials too, but look at his devotion and faith in Christ. 1 Ne. 3:7. Anything the Lord asks of us he has prepared a way. He has prepared a way for you to be Maggie's parents keep up your trust in him.

dhillman said...

What a great testimony! I have that talk by Elder Bednar saved--it is sooo good. I have to re-read it and remember on many occasions! :)
What a wonderful feeling to enjoy now and a great memory to hold on to when things feel hard--which they might again before Maggie is in your arms. I know that you will be blessed for keeping the faith.
Hey, love the new look too!

BrOwN CiRcUs said...

Thanks for sharing!! You are doing a wonderful job in recognizing the set backs as part of a bigger picture. I think it's amazing how negative some families can get waiting, it is definately a trial, but one where we can trust Heavenly Father and feel great comfort. Our little ones will be with us soon!!!

Autumn said...

Your testimony was an unexpected gift to receive today, Mandee. Thank you for it and also your beautiful, righteous example. So often your words are just what I needed to hear.

Love you,
Autumn

K said...

I too echo the other comments. Your words touched my heart and I needed them today.

4ever said...

I too loved bro. Bednar's talk. It really helped me as I waited. I can completely relate to your post! Waiting is just so hard but in the end we can definitely see God's plan unfold for each of our families. I will continue to follow your journey and will rejoice when Maggie is placed in your arms and God's hand is revealed. She will be the perfect child for your family and your family will be the perfect for her. Hang in there!

Jennie

Anonymous said...

Praying for your family, and praying that you have the peace you need during this point of the waiting. {HUG}

BrOwN CiRcUs said...

Hi Mandee...I guess no news yet? I have been watching and hoping :)

Staci said...

Hello!
Your blog is the first I've come across who is another LDS family like ours, and I don't even know how I came across it. I am the mom of 4 boys, and we too, are waiting for our SN daughter in Guangxi Province, China. I have a private blog for family but have started a public one for when we travel. I eventually will post our adoption story on it. It is www.youbelong.net/sophierose. Supposedly we will not have trouble posting from China. I will pray for your family that your paperwork comes quickly. I totally understand what you are going through. Hang in there!
Take care,
Staci Barrus
PS - I understand the mission thing. We had a 4 month hold up on my husband's clearance from Guam!

Megan B ♥ said...

What a wonder and an inspiration you are. I'm feeling very emotional after catching up on everything. Love you!