Sunday, July 10, 2011

Camping

Mandee is currently putting the little princess to bed.  She has told me that if I really loved her that I would make another post to the blog.  So… here goes…

Camping has always been a dirty word in the household where I grew up.  My little sister lasted exactly 1 day for only 1 summer at girls camp.  I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes at night when I have “Vietnam-style” flashbacks about scout camp when I was a kid.  I remember one time that I actually had to (prepare yourselves for this… it is almost to horrible to describe…) touch a fish with my bare hands and clean it.

Don’t get me wrong.  I love the outdoors.  I just like it to stay outdoors.  I love to be out in nature, but I love even more being able to go inside and use the greatest invention of the modern era (flushing toilets).  I am also very fond of hot water heaters and showers.  

For the past 12 years of our marital bliss, my smoking hot wife (her words) has been trying to convince me that we need to become a “camping family”.  She tells me how much she absolutely loves camping and that all of her favorite memories as a child revolved around taking trips out into the forest and sleeping “Moses-style” (in a tent for those who are not in the know) and only having leaves and holes for the “facilities”.  Sounds awesome, huh.

Well, being the wonderful, kind, incredibly handsome and caring husband that I am.  I have offered to take the family camping a few times with our tent (gasp… yes we do actually own a tent… it has been used at least 6 times… nevermind that 5 of those were in our own backyard).  My admittedly half-hearted offers to do the camping deed have always been met with an equally half-hearted, “well… do we actually have to go in a tent, with no bathrooms and no beds?” from my smoking hot wife.  She then gently reminds me that while she enjoyed roughing it as a child, if I really loved her and the kids, I would take them camping in a manner that was befitting (that is really fancy talk for renting a camper… yay!!!).

Well, this weekend, I finally redeemed myself as a husband and a father (almost).  Here is the proof:

P1150303

We took an extended family camp-o-rama up to Indian Creek in Palisades.  Notice, however, that there is only one family that appears to be sleeping in a tent in this picture. 

P1150206

Can you guess which family that was?  Dang.  Someday I’ll get this right.

P1150240

Anywhooo.  The kids absolutely had a blast.  Alex and the boys decided that they needed to catch a fish.

P1150227

P1150237

He ended up catching something much more exciting…

P1150222

No, not me… the tree.  Let the good times roll!

The intrepid explorers had to go on a hike.

P1150261

P1150299

P1150270

P1150277

P1150288

P1150290

Alex got to double as a pack mule for the trip.  It is about time somebody else took a turn!!!

P1150292

Chase got a little bit of an extra work out himself (on a side note… Carson had the dirtiest face in the whole camp… we had only been there 1/2 hour at this point).

P1150295

P1150307

Abby came in a close second.

P1150305

We also had a great time riding bikes, four wheelers and motorcycles.

P1150208

P1150259

P1150246

P1150250

At night, the cousins all gathered around to play some games.

P1150310

P1150313

I’m not sure if Olivia just lost this game or if her hot dog just did not agree with her.

P1150314

Uncle Matt made sure that all of the kids new the safe and proper way to shoot a raccoon.

P1150375

“Get ‘em where it hurts, kids”.

P1150379

Papa made sure that he provided all of the outdoor lighting that we needed for the trip.

P1150316

Seriously, I’m sure that you can see that jacket from the space station.  Small airplanes were trying to use our campsite for a landing strip.  Do not look directly at the hoodie or you may burn your retinas.  (OK… I’m done… sorry Papa, that may have been a bit overboard).

OK, so I’m not done, yet.  Here’s another shot.  Notice how it seems to absorb the light from all of the surroundings?  Amazing.

P1150350

Of course, the kids had to cook their smores over the campfire.

P1150327

P1150328

Leave it up to Sam to find the stale and crusty bag of peeps from Easter and convince all of the cousins that they would be “freaking awesome” to roast over the fire.

P1150210

We also did a little star gazing.

P1150347

P1150335

We told some stories around the campfire.

P1150349

P1150339

P1150344

And of course… Ralph the Midnight Hair Dresser made a visit to the campsite…

P1150366

P1150365

We had a great time and will definitely do it again (as long as the next time includes flushing toilets).

3 comments:

dhillman said...

Merritt you need to be columnist in your next life. No numbers, just words!
And this camping trip looks freaking awesome. Way to make some memories so that the next generation will continue to go camping.

K said...

An adventure at each new paragraph. Love it!

Megan B ♥ said...

Looks like a very fun trip! This smokin' hot wife has yet to convince the "not really a camper" husband to take us camping. He prefers to camp Escala-style, the little stinker :)