Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My favorite time of the year

I love this quote from the movie You’ve Got Mail (just replace New York with Idaho):

“Don't you love New York [Idaho] in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.”

There is something about this time of year that I seriously love and have loved ever since I was a kid. I love when the mornings have the crispness in the air and when all the stores start putting out school supplies. I love new never been used notebooks just waiting to be filled, freshly sharpened #2 HB pencils, Pink Pearl erasers, brand new boxes of sharp Crayola crayons (the bigger the box the better), sharp new scissors, picking out the perfect backpack and seeing friends at school. For me back to school has always signified new beginnings and a fresh new start. Best time of the year!

The boys grudgingly happily allowed me to take the traditional back to school photos. Alex is in 8th grade (gasp) and his last year of junior high. Sam is in the 4th grade this year.

IMG_7986

IMG_7997

IMG_8002

Alex just rolled his eyes when I asked for a picture of his backpack.

IMG_8004

Sam is very proud of his backpack was all too happy to indulge me.

IMG_8006

Pictures of new shoes…Alex really didn’t understand that one.

IMG_8007

Alex was thrilled to pose for a few more pictures…can’t you tell? I think he was afraid the bus would pull up and his friends would witness his crazy mother with the camera. Sorry dude, but my job as a mother is to embarrass you as much as possible.

IMG_8022IMG_8024

Sam was a little more accommodating. He isn’t too cool for me…yet.

IMG_8014IMG_8031

And they are off!

IMG_8034_blur

Two days later and Maggie FINALLY get’s to go to kindergarten! She has been counting down the days for weeks now. She was so hyper this morning and was so excited that it was her turn to have “first day of school” pictures.

I can’t believe my baby is in school! She is growing up way to fast. I keep telling her she has to stop growing…she does not find that amusing.

IMG_8037

IMG_8039IMG_8049IMG_8050IMG_8052

The backpack…

IMG_8045

…and the shoes. Girl stuff is so darn cute!IMG_8055

IMG_8061

Can you believe these two are in the same grade? Maggie looks so tiny! I am so grateful that my children have the opportunity of growing up with cousins so close. Max and Maggie get to be in the same class together. Yay! I’m sure Max with do a good job of watching out for my little girl.

IMG_8093IMG_8097

There she goes! She didn’t even look back once. The bus driver had to call her back so I could get a picture! She didn’t have a single bit of nervousness. The report from a mom who followed the bus to school (and shall remain nameless) is that Maggie marched into that classroom all smiles.

IMG_8129IMG_8132

As I walked backed into my empty house I may or may not have shed a few tears.

IMG_8138_blu

3 comments:

Jenni said...

our babies are growing up way too fast! Glad it went well this morning....and I wish my girlies were in class with Miss Maggie. One more year!!!

The Hammond Family Blog said...

Does that mean we are getting old? My youngest went to kindergarten this year too and my oldest is in 7th. Your family is adorable!!!

K said...

You are such a good mom to document this day! I have the intention of doing so...not always the follow through. Beautiful kids!